Monday, October 6, 2008

What did you do while the boys were gone?

Well, I wish I could say I did something exciting. But. . . This is my dad. I miss him, he's been gone since September 1st. Every year he packs up his truck and heads out to the hills. Where are the hills you might ask? Anywhere there is no civilization! He owns land in Baker Nevada and he may be there, or Ely, or. . . no one really knows. He takes "his men" and they go off to pick the gold, (pinenuts). He lives in a tent for a few months and has his fun. Then toward the end he brings home. . .
These, beautiful jumbo pinenuts. People like them. I have had them around my whole life and I have to say, they aren't my favorite. I can eat a few if they are roasted with salt. But I only need a handful a year. I love them though because they remind me of my dad. The smell of pine gum and dust, mmmm. That is a memory I will never forget. This last weekend Uncle Larry brought home 6000 pounds of pinenuts. Some people have day jobs, some have night jobs. I have random jobs. My most important job is my family, not so random but changes every day. I teach piano every day. I mow lawns all summer/fall. I clean house for grandma every month, I cater weddings with my friend now and then, I bag pinenuts every fall. Why do I do all of these random things. Because I just do. I have done these things for so long it's just the way life is. I can blame a lot of my jobs onto my dad, but I am glad to have variety so life doesn't get boring.
So if you can tell by the picture, I bagged and boxed 312 pounds of pinenuts on Saturday night. That is what I did while my boy was gone!

2 comments:

Mindy Hill said...

I love that you are so well rounded and versed in so many areas. I would consider your "random jobs" a blessing! Have a great week! C-You tomorrow evening!

joleen said...

You are a busy girl for sure! If you ever want a lesson in relaxing, come see me!