Sunday, September 28, 2008

Carmel Popcorn

carmel popcorn has been a long time favorite with me. My friends in High School wont remember a trip with out a batch of my popcorn, snicker doodles, chocolate chip cookies and even Japes chocolate chipless cookies!
Now that times have changed the batches of goodies at my house are few and far between. (Mike doesn't like this one bit :) It's all part of the love honey)
Well my kids have been begging for popcorn lately. When I was a Kid I remember visiting my Grandma Louder every Sunday night. She would often have this yummy popcorn for us to eat! So today was the day. For some strange reason it goes with fall. I don't know why because it is always good. It's kinda like pumpkin cookies, I make them once a year.

Gabe loves to go to "Mama's" house after church so he missed out on our fun. Jace loved watching the popcorn "go up high" in the popper and when it came to make the carmel he was all about that Karo syrup. "was at?" (what's that)






He wanted to see the pictures and tried to climb up on the back of his char, tipping it over. I luckily caught him but the chair landed on my toe and OUCH! he kissed it better quickly and soon after he stubbed his toe on the same chair. owies are all a part of the growing experience!




So my little helper got all tuckered out before the fun part came, so this is all in tribute to him. Why my 2 year old thinks he is too old for a nap is beyond me. He is always so tired and I was glad to see that today, he decided he new right what to do.








Now for the Recipe
(From Grandma Kocherhans)
7 quarts of popped corn

2 C. brown sugar

1 C. Butter

1/2 C. Karo Syrup

1/2 tsp Salt


Bring to a boil and stir for 5 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tsp. baking soda. Pour over popcorn. Bake at 200* for 45 minutes stirring every 15! Yum yum
Baking is torture on Fast Sunday!




8 comments:

Sarah said...

Yum!!

I love carmel popcorn, i agree it is a great fall treat!

Kelli said...

Ooooh! Yummy! Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it out. I love carmel popcorn but I don't have a good recipe, so THANKS for sharing!!

Kes said...

i LOVE the picture of Gabe on the floor. kids are so funny and will sleep ANYWHERE.
Yeah for carmel popcorn, thanks for the recipe!

Jamie said...

Becky! How's life? I totally remember eating your yummy snickerdoodles on our trips. Good times.

Todd and Ashley said...

I love this time of the year also. Fall is by far the best. I love the colors of the leaves, the weather's crispness, and all the yummy goodies to make. I too love popcorn and pumpkin anything. So good to see your blog, I haven't been on in a while. I get too busy with work I hate it.

Meta said...

I'm so glad you posted the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Hey I am a friend of the Phillips family, I think you may even know my husband Abe Geake, anyway I look into your cute blog now and then..I wanted to tell you this is the BEST Carmel Popcorn I've ever had and thanks for sharing the recipe we did this over Conference weekend and it was great!

Natlee Lloyd said...

Oh I can't wait to make this. Oh no I don't have a popcorn popper!